Tuesday, September 22, 2009

MCI Screening Test Must for All Foreign MBBS Graduates

The Supreme Court has ruled that students with medical degrees from abroad will be allowed to practise in India only if they clear a screening test conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI). The rule also applies to those with MBBS degrees from countries with whom India has a reciprocity agreement.

The Supreme Court gave the ruling on a plea challenging the test by some students who had got their medical degrees from Nepal. Justifying its order, the SC said some students studying abroad “did not fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria for admission to medical courses in India and serious aberrations had been noticed in the standards of medical education in some countries.

The court also upheld the Medical Council of India's regulation requiring Indians who obtain an MBBS degree from institutes in Nepal to pass a screening test for grant of a Certificate of Registration to practise as doctors in India.

The screening test will also be compulsory for medicos who have a MBBS degree from a country with which India has a reciprocal agreement.

Graduates from Manipal College of Medical Science, Pokhara, and Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhaiarahawa, will have to sit for the screening test conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI).

5 comments:

pappachan said...

I wanted to inform all concerned that on 9th May 2011, supreme court of I ndia has given a verdict that If a student has done his MBBS course partially in I ndia also is eligible for appearing for Screening test and then do the Internship. This will help lot of students, who has done course partially in I ndia, which was not allowed by MCI up to now.

Sushil Pawar said...

Thanks for the help. Can u plz give me for the Case details.. I need them . Plz forward details on - sushilpawar007@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi, I wanted to know whether the ruling to sit the screening test for students who have done MBBS from Universal college of Medical Science still applies?
I want to take MBBS admission in this college, so I want to know whether it is really MCI recognized? And do I have to take the screening test to practice in India?Please help.

Unknown said...

Hi,I want to take MBBS admission in Universal College of Medical science this year.But I really wanna know whether it is MCI recognized ot not? And is the ruling still hold true that I have to sit for screening test after the completion of the course? Please help.

Unknown said...

hii,i studied mbbs in kyrgistan for 2years in 2011-2013.i changed my university in same country in 2013-2014 ,do i have the right to write mci test (for transfer student)....so plz reply me
my mail id pedda.bose@gmail.com

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

Free Education Consultancy - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008 Privacy Policy